Immigrating into Canada: Visas and DNA tests

There are several options available to non-Canadian residents who are interested in relocating to Canada for the purpose of work, school, visiting family, a business trip or vacation. We have listed the most common reasons below along with a brief detail of each option. For more information or specific guidelines visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Relationship DNA testing for Immigration

If you reside in Canada and have a relative abroad who would like to join you, you might need to do an immigration DNA test to prove the biological relationship between you. Relationship testing in such cases can be done between siblings, parents and children, aunt or uncles with their nieces or nephews or grandparents and grand children. Results of a DNA test will not guarantee a visa or residency permit but will help hasten the process of immigration into Canada. Moreover, immigration testing is usually recommended when important records like death or birth certificates from the country of origin are unavailable or not of a high enough standard to be accepted.

Sampling for immigration testing for test participants based aboard will be carried out in the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate. Once the samples have been collected by a person appointed by the embassy they will be returned to the laboratory for testing. Following this, a notarized result will be issued.

The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

Immigrants interested in permanently relocating to Canada using the FSWP will have to wait until early 2013 when the Citizenship and Immigration Canada office expects to reopen the program to applicants. The CIC has proposed changes to the selection criteria as discussed in the Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008). There are some exceptions; however, including immigrants who hold a qualifying job offer and those pursuing a Ph.D. education at a Canadian institution of higher education.

Application for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
For those people who live outside of Canada but are planning to visit on a short-term basis, such as visiting friends or family, going on vacation or attending a business trip, a temporary resident visa is required as detailed in the Application for Temporary Res

ident Visa (IMM 5257)

. If you are planning on working or studying in Canada, you must apply for the temporary resident visa prior to the start of your job or semester. If you visit Canada and then decide to pursue work or school, you will need to leave Canada in order to apply for a TRV. Some exceptions apply.

Work Permit

Non-Canadian citizens who want to work temporarily in Canada, must apply for a work permit in addition to the Temporary Resident Visa.  Additional documentation is required along with instructions that can be found in the Application for a Work Permit Made Outside of Canada (IMM 1295) form.

Sponsorship of a Family Member

Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada, are allowed to sponsor family members including the “sponsor’s spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner; a dependent child of the sponsor; the sponsor’s mother or father; a person the sponsor intends to adopt; and other relatives of the sponsor as defined by regulation”. While DNA testing is not required in most cases, the requirements for immigrants are different based upon the country they are migrating from. The sponsor must be able to support the family members and is required to sign a contract stating such (IMM 3900).

Permanent Resident Card (PR Card)

Non-Canadian citizens who are looking to permanently reside in Canada or current permanent resident card holders who need to renew or replace their existing card, must complete the Application for Permanent Resident Card (IMM 5444). Once the permanent residence is granted, the PR card provides secure proof of permanent residence status.

Application for Canadian Citizenship (Adults)
The criteria required to become a permanent Canadian citizen is outlined in the Application for Canadian Citizenship (Form CIT 0002). Applicants must:

  • Be 18 years or older
  • Have resided in Canada for a minimum of three of the four years prior to applying
  • Speak English or French (some exceptions apply)
  • Be familiar with Canadian culture and history (some exceptions apply)

Application for Permanent Residence (Canadian Experience Class)

Non-citizens who have temporarily worked or graduated from a Canadian institute of higher education who want to become Canadian citizens, can apply for Canadian citizenship – referred to as Canadian Experience Class.  For eligibility requirements, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

What about Immigration Testing Australia?

For those needing immigration testing to Australia, the relevant authorities will be of course different to the Canadian one. However, a lot of the conditions required by the Australian immigration authorities will be the same. The actual immigration DNA testing procedure will be the same, although you might have to see what accreditation certification is required for the laboratory.

First of all anything related to the following will be handled by the Department of Immigration & Citizenship

  • Immigration
  • visas
  • Citizenship
  • Refugee status

This department is also responsible for securing and patrolling Australia’s vast coast and territorial waters.  Most visa applications or immigration applications will be handled by the Australian High Commission or the Australian Embassy in the relevant country. The DNA sample collection for immigration testing to Australia, where required, may also take place at the Commission or Embassy. This is where the appointment will be set up for the sample collection.

Those wishing to move to Australia who do not have relatives residing in the country legally will need to see whether they qualify under the skill shortages list. Basically, you are far more likely to accepted and granted residency if you are able to bring skills that the country needs. This depends on your qualifications, work experience, languages spoken, assets and the interplay of all these as well as other factors. You moreover, may require an employer in Australia. This will help hasten the immigration process. In some instances, you may want to consider spending three years in New Zealand (getting Visa, residency or immigration permits is easier). From New Zealand, you can then try move to Australia once the three year period has expired.